View Single Post
      03-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #18
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

My first experience driving a stick shift was w/ my neighbor that lives up the street from me, a very techy ex-Oxford professor w/ an old Honda CRX 5 spd. beater. First time off the gas I was trying to wrap my head around depressing the clutch first and putting the gearshift into first then on gas and out, when I've been driving auto's since I first learned how to drive @ 16(21 now). I ended up stalling the car and burning the clutch. I felt like poo, not because I didn't get it the first time out, I burnt the damm clutch. LoL, so we just kept on down hill starts that way it would be easier for me to get the car moving w/ out having to put so much emphaisis on gasing up the hill where I originally started. It's one thing to have a thick British accent and use brit jargon, but to start teaching me how to blip the throttle on downshifts my first time out the gate!?!?!?! A nightmare Perhaps going and trying to find someone else to teach me how to drive stick in a less complicated manor would put me on a different train of thought. As for now it's obnoxious and overbearing, hopefully I'll be typing words of praise... someday.. but NO ONE wants to teach you on their car in fear that you will do what I did on my first time out, rightfully so.
Appreciate 0