View Single Post
      03-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Do men feel less macho if they don't drive a stick shift?

judge for yourself:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2463257

No offense to the 6MT owners here whatsoever. Through reading page after page in this thread I garnered what I felt I already knew about many car enthusiast already who are predominantly male; "stick or die". In all truth and honesty, there are only a handfull of drivers out there who can actually "shift", while many would be boy racers would tell you that they "can" when they really suck at shifting. Such a transmission such as "DSG" or whatever you'd like to call it, shifts for itself at your beckon call faster than you ever could, but yet there are many who detest such an invention and demand the party be spoiled for everyone else. I learned how to drive stick, somewhat got the hang of it, and I'm most certaintly not eager to be the slickest shifter out on the road. It's painstaking and annoying, on top of that I live in a city that really does make any sense of driving a MT to begin w/. I don't need to drive a stick so that girls think I'm cool when they learn what kind of car I drive, or so that I'll get accepted into the club at the local grocery store parking lot that meets up every sunday. A pointless argument many will say, but an argument made by a true and real car enthusiast none the less.
Appreciate 0