01-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I’ve heard peppermint works, or plant mint along your fence. Sometimes onion as well, but you get to smell that.

I’ve used mothballs with some success on other critters - just make sure pets can’t get to them. Again it is the aroma, so they can be in small boxes with holes to let the scent out.

For something that big, and potentially carrying rabies, I’d get a trapper assuming your city doesn’t do it.
Good ideas in the plantings. The potential for rabies is what got me thinking, as did the potential it is a she looking to nest. I heard when you see them during the day it means they are probably rabid but after researching a little think that’s BS. Minor PITA to take dog out or go outside and make sure garage door is closed. Someone was actually attacked by one the next neighborhood over not too long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Meh, he's just doing his raccoon thing. leave him be and without food or shelter on your property he'll likely just be on his way. Can you cover the pool? The easy access to water is probably an attractant.
I probably could get a pool cover but it’s the nicest weather of the year right now. There’s plenty of water in canals nearby. Seemed to spend an unusual amount of time out there yesterday. Today was garbage day and some dumb ass probably left some garbage outside the bin so it’s off somewhere eating today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
Buy cayenne pepper in bulk and spread where the raccoon walks and forages. I played hell getting rid of skunks including paying a trapper, but what finally did the trick was a good dusting of cayenne pepper. I used a flour sifter, just don't let the wind blow it on you!
I checked with a couple of trappers and they are expensive. And no guarantees and they might trap a cat or small dog. I let HOA management company know but apparently they don’t care. Maybe I’ll try the town’s animal control. Otherwise just gathering alternative ideas for now.