09-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #33
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Been there, done that, could write the proverbial book on the subject.

After having been forced to give up all of my sportscar clubs' management roles by my mean doctors four years ago, the only thing that I have left is one more year chairing a committee at work.

I thought about running for the local school board, despite not having kids and never attending the local schools. My one encounter with the board was at a public hearing about a bond proposal, and let's just say that their breaking point was only five of the 17 questions that I came to ask before the board's vice-chair snapped and said that it didn't matter because they would keep putting the bond up for vote every month until it passed. If I were seriously going to run, I would need to attend a full year of meetings to learn the annual business cycles and observe the current board's interpersonal dynamics.

One thing that I did do last winter before COVID-geddon was volunteer for a town committee to draft a document. Didn't know a single person in our municipal government before this, and the experience so far (half way done) is no different than the other volunteer/committee stuff that I've done for years. One thing that I've learned is that my health would probably not let me run for a town board seat if I ever felt that was necessary in the future.....
For the "I could write a book on the subject" (volunteering), you seem to have two examples, a school board and town committee for a municipal government. If your goal is to get things done without a lot of bureaucracy you should stay away from all government functions. I can't think of a worst place to spend my time as a volunteer then fighting over a school budget spending tax money with people that really don't care about how smartly the money is spent. Most groups where you volunteer there is a relatively small group of people managing money they raised (huge difference than your examples) and trying to spend it wisely. Also depends on how deep you want to get involved. I volunteer at a kids exercise/self esteem/motivation group where I go to the events, help them set up and tear down (zero irritation). My wife is on a much higher level where she is involved in the committees and weekly events. Their meetings are short, she doesn't always agree but they make decisions and move on.