vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I'm thinking about doing volunteer work. Its tough for me because I'm not very good at a committee dynamic. I'd rather be in charge or work with someone who is in charge and has a plan. I've had unfun experiences but I should really give it a try again.
Been there, done that, could write the proverbial book on the subject.

After having been forced to give up all of my sportscar clubs' management roles by my mean doctors four years ago, the only thing that I have left is one more year chairing a committee at work.

I thought about running for the local school board, despite not having kids and never attending the local schools. My one encounter with the board was at a public hearing about a bond proposal, and let's just say that their breaking point was only five of the 17 questions that I came to ask before the board's vice-chair snapped and said that it didn't matter because they would keep putting the bond up for vote every month until it passed. If I were seriously going to run, I would need to attend a full year of meetings to learn the annual business cycles and observe the current board's interpersonal dynamics.

One thing that I did do last winter before COVID-geddon was volunteer for a town committee to draft a document. Didn't know a single person in our municipal government before this, and the experience so far (half way done) is no different than the other volunteer/committee stuff that I've done for years. One thing that I've learned is that my health would probably not let me run for a town board seat if I ever felt that was necessary in the future.....