09-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #35
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
There certainly are a lot of opinions. I am quite new to the market - about 18 months. Though my portfolio is a bit tech heavy, I bought stocks in companies I believed in and I plan on holding them for at least another three years until I retire - and I might still keep them after that.

I 'freaked out' in March and nearly sold everything, but a friend of mine who'd been in the market for decades told me to hold tight and he was right. It appears that the average long term return in the market is about 8% far better than the 0.8% that you get in a bank.

I'm grateful for all of your thoughtful responses. Thank you all very much!
You guys are making this so hard.

By low sell high. I called it months ago when markets were gonna crash and jumped out. Slowly back in in end of April and back out again now as of mid August.

Why risk your money on non rational volatility due to the pandemic, economic and political cycle.

If you think institutional investors won't take profits going into the new year your are crazy. Most hedges are starting to close the books for they year or finding a strategy to do so. Equity markets may push higher next year right now every one wants to close out positive or at least even for the year.