View Single Post
      11-17-2021, 02:22 AM   #37
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
There is no misconception: I never said it wasn't tested, just that it didn't go through the usual proper channels as many other vaccines. Don't misconstrue what I said. Would also appreciate that you refrain from hyperboles like 1/3 or more of ppl getting killed by this virus when obviously it's nowhere near that. Stick w facts and not sensationalism.

Like I said in a previous post, unfortunately there are way too many ppl who just refuse to critically think things through.
I apologize, and won't sensationalize, but I stand my ground when it comes to the speed at which the vaccine rolled out. It was considered an emergency and therefore needed to cut through a lot of red tape. There was the notion that if we didn't roll out a vaccine, more people would get sick and die before herd immunity could take affect. The whole rationale was the lesser of 2 evils. In hindsight its easy to pass judgement, but in the moment, you have to make a decision and live with the consequences.

To me, what I have seen, is out of sight, out of mind. From my perspective, my hospital is at 110% capacity. 92% of our patients are Covid patients. 90% of those Covid patients did not get vaccinated. We have no beds, no staff, and no equipment to service everyone. We can't transport any patients to higher acuity facilities because they are at capacity as well. Some hospitals in my area do have beds, but they don't have the staff to be able to open those beds. So far, only about 35% of patients that have had Covid in our hospital have died. So from my math, that's about 1/3 of the Covid positive population, in my hospital. Now these numbers don't reflect every hospital, but again, this is my first hand perspective. The demographics of the area we service is mostly uneducated farm workers. My county is considered a Red county as well, meaning that people tend to politicize the vaccine, don't believe in wearing masks, nor do they want the vaccine.

This vaccine won't prevent you from getting the virus. What it will do, is it will keep your symptoms in check. At first, the hope was to roll out a vaccine to prevent the virus from spreading and therefore killing people. We learned that the vaccine actually did not stop transmission, but what it does do is it prevents you from getting "really sick". This is important because of what I stated before, our medical system can't handle the influx of Covid patients.

Going back to your point, what exactly are or were the proper channels this vaccine had to go through, that it did not? Also, you claim people aren't critically thinking things through, what are these things that people aren't thinking thoroughly about?
Appreciate 1
vanguard8245.50