View Single Post
      09-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #37
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
When I obtained the Trek hybrid that lives in my race car hauler as a paddock bike, it came with pedals meant for clip-on shoes that did not work with my weekend walking/driving shoes. I replaced them with some cheap billet aluminum pedals from an online store. Great for working with normal shoes, but they had threaded studs protruding from them as traction aids that would draw blood like a grater if your foot slipped off the wrong way. Ask me how I know!

As I am waiting for the cheapo Amazon e-MTB that I ordered on a whim to arrive via ground shipping from the west coast, I was reading the comments for it and everyone suggested ditching the included pedals for something bigger. So, I picked up a set of 3-bearing billet aluminum pedals from Amazon, and they also have threaded screw-in skin ripper studs sticking out of them. I spent nearly a half hour this afternoon with a T15 Torx driver in hand, breaking the blue thread lock and removing all of those studs.

My question is whether or not I will have traction issues wearing sneakers without those studs in place? Should I pick up some self-adhesive sandpaper traction tape or outdoor rubber anti-slip tape for the pedal platforms? I'm not going off-road or doing anything crazy, just riding up and down our street trying not to hurt myself to get out of our house for a few minutes.....