View Single Post
      12-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Looks like you've been following the stock more than I do. One thing that bothers people is AAPL will stop reporting quarterly unit sales and only reporting the revenue data. People interpret this as there could be an issue with the growth of iphone sales.

Also, 218M vs. 217M unit year over year (I assume since the data came from you) does not seem like an impressive growth number for me although the higher per unit cost does offset the small gain in total unit sales. One can interpret this data as in order for AAPL to growth in iphone revenue, since the unit sales growth won't be there, AAPL has to charge more per unit but this can be only so much since consumers will not be willing to pay a higher cost for a smart phone.
Again, all AAPL investors know unit sales growth has been in low single digits for 3 years. This isn't a surprise.

Apple is correct in not reporting these numbers as they were a distraction to the larger services story and overall success of the business.

Apple continually put up top and bottom line beats, but analysts would spin the quarter as "poor" because they sold 51.5M iPhones versus 52M the analysts modeled. Apple never provided unit sales guidance.

So it started being this "never good enough" problem. Even if Apple beat their own guidance, analysts would "expect" more units than reported.

Apple just said, forget it...no more unit sales. Longer term, this is good for investors. I own well into the 4 digits of AAPL shares, so I have to follow the company closely due to my position.
Appreciate 0