View Single Post
      05-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
bavarian06
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

* Need help about my recent car purchase with dealer - potential dealer runaround *

Hi Members,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right subforum so moderators, feel free to move it accordingly. I recently purchased a Supra Turbo from a dealer in NY. The dealer and I agreed on the price based on specific terms (factory parts must be included and the car has to pass CA smog). I had him write me a letter on company letterhead stating this and he signed it for me. He reassured me he had all the itemized parts and that it will pass smog since it had already "passed NY smog". Feeling confident, I went ahead and wired the funds to his bank. This happened last Thursday. I called him on the same day the wire went out and he told me it's in pending status and that he will mail me the title once the funds clear on Friday. But sure enough, when I called his dealership on Friday, the receptionist said he was out for the day. I tried his cell but no answer. I started to get nervous but I didn't want my nerves to get the best of me. I endured through the weekend and called him today (Monday). Luckily he answered and said he was away for the weekend and is busy playing catch up. He mentioned he was at his warehouse looking for all the factory oem parts for the car and wanted to make sure the car will pass smog (apparently it still has the aftermarket downpipe installed). But in my mind I'm thinking shouldn't this have been taken care of before the funds were accepted, especially the smog test? He said he would call me later today with his findings but sure enough, he didn't.

Tomorrow will be the third business day, the fifth regular day he has held my funds without providing me proof that he has mailed out the title or demonstrated the car is ready to be loaded for transport (the car is located in NY, I'm in CA). The million dollar question is, what are my rights as a buyer at this stage? Can I cancel the whole transaction and ask for my funds back? Is there a timeline that I should expect and hold the dealer accountable to?

I researched about the dealer for a while before pulling the trigger. Everything I found are mainly positive reviews from previous buyers from various forums like rennlist (he specializes in air cooled porsches - extensive inventory), 6speedonline, m3post, ebay (100% satisfaction - where I found the car listed), and etc.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0