Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
these MPs seem pretty buildable.

dont know if going with 5.56 will make ammo harder or easier to get
Mantis, you've got a few things working against you right now:

1. Gun buying fever nationwide. Hard to find some guns right now.
2. Ammo buying fever, also. If you can find ammo, the price might be high.
3. You're in California. You'll have fewer options for guns and ammo and you'll pay higher prices for what you can get.
4. If you want to carry a concealed firearm, California makes it difficult to get the required permit.

You said you want an AR15 type rifle, but California has severely restricted what you are allowed to buy. I don't know all of the laws there, but you won't be able to get an AR15 with all of the features and options that residents of other states can get.

California also restricts handguns by requiring manufacturers to meet certain requirements. Not all manufacturers bother with trying to make all of their guns California-compliant, so you won't have as many options available. There are still plenty of choices for you, but the exact make and model you want might not be available in California.

I'm pretty sure California has banned all mail-order ammo sales. I think all ammo sales have to go through a dealer now, which just makes buying ammo more expensive and cumbersome.

If you want to get a concealed carry license, you may have a bunch of hoops to jump through. California is a "may issue" state which means they may or may not issue you a license, but they don't have to. From what I've read, it varies greatly by location. More rural/conservative areas are more likely to issue the permits, whereas places like San Francisco will never give a permit to a regular citizen.

All of the above is from what I've read/heard from other people, so some of it may be wrong. Go check out California-specific gun forums, such as https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php to get more and better info.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0