10-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #1236
Getzinem
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I will be 45 this year...in fact next week. I still dead-lift regularly. I believe it's like anything else, put in the time learning the proper form and prep yourself for it, and you can be injury free. I do all the major lifts and use what I think is quite a fair bit of weight. But it took me years to get to that point.

Now if you have an old injury, I think that changes the dynamics of everything as they can easily be inflamed....so I wouldn't chance it.

I also use foam rolling pretty extensively. And I see a PT once a month who works on all my trigger points, and is pretty aggressive with stuff such as scraping, deep tissue, etc. I also do a lot to protect my shoulder girdle such as rotations, pro-nations, stretching, etc.

Honestly though, I think the biggest problem I see in the gym is people using too much weight with bad form. That is a recipe for disaster.

I was fortunate enough to train with people when I first started that were professionals in their sports..some even world champions. I feel that was instrumental in my longevity in this activity as you can't learn this stuff from a book. There are so many little cues to look for even when doing the simplest exercises.

Plus everybody is built differently. Muscle insertion points are different, length and leverage...it all plays a role in it. Some people are made for a certain exercise while others aren't. And if you are the latter, you scrap the exercise and move to something that works.
Glad to hear that you are able to stay healthy and that you take care of yourself. Age is just a number and the best ability is availability
Appreciate 0