09-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
jbx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 XDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to the X5 world and I'm looking for some help. We've had Jeep Grand Cherokees for the last 10 years, but I think we've finally outgrown them. We looked long and hard at the RR Sport, but everywhere I turned I kept hearing that they are a reliability nightmare. With 2 young kids I can't be going back and forth to the shop on a regular basis. The Q7 doesn't do it for me and I am not old enough to drive a Mercedes so we're onto the X5.

I know all the in's and out's with JGC's, but diving into the X5 world feels like going on vacation to a new place for the first time; you can do all the research in the world, but you know you're still going to miss out on something. With that said I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you could answer for me regarding the 2019 X5.

1. What are the major differences b/w the 40i and the 50i besides the V-8 engine? What exactly am I paying $15k for and is it worth it?

2. What accessories/options are must haves?

3. Can I live with DHP? Seems like I'll have to if I choose the 40i

4. I'm a big (loud) music person. The BW upgrade seems amazing, but at $3500-$4200 it also seems absurd...will I be happy the standard sound system?

5. We are dog people and they're often in the car...does BMW off a dog grate that keeps the dogs in the back and if so is it solid without any rattling?

6. What exactly does the 'leather credit' I've read about cover? Can I pretty much upgrade to the 'extended leather package' for no additional charge on either the 40i or 50i?

7. Seems like I can expect about $3k off msrp...sound right?

8. Does anyone have a solid guess at the cost of the M40i when it gets released?

That should be all for now. Hope you can help, and thanks in advance,

Jason
Having owned both engines in every generation X5 ever (except the F15 when I decided the v8 was no longer worth the extra $) I can probably help answer your questions. My g05 is ordered for week 43 and will be my 7th X5 besides having had multiple 3s/5s/and a 740i as well as a first week of launch 640i GranCoupe over the last 24 years.

1. Probably not worth the extra $ if you are used to the performance of your JGC the 40i will blow that away.

2. For me M Sport is not negotiable as are premium, comfort, and executive package are minimum requirements always. Anything else over is nice. 21” wheels are a must.

3. Unless you drive with and without DHP back-to-back you’d probably not know or notice. Once you do, you probably will always prefer to have it.

4. The standard audio is very good. HK used to be too bass-y but now it’s also very good. The BW is way overpriced and overrated in my personal humble opinion.

5. Clueless about dog crates

6. The leather credit is temporary. It exists while sensatec is unavailable. It will disappear shortly.

7. You should join the BMW club of North America and you can get back another 1000. 3000 off list is the bare minimum I would accept. I frequently have gotten more.

8. I think you mean the M50i. There won’t be an M40i in the X5 unfortunately. It will likely be a small amount of difference between the current XDrive50i unless they suddenly decide to make all of the options standard which is highly unlikely.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0