View Single Post
      11-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #35
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
If you're just starting out I would forget about post processing and focus on composition. Get a cheap 50 mm 1.8 prime, focus on framing simple, focused shots and just shoot in jpeg.

The colors are really distracting, but don't really matter if you don't have solid shots to begin with. You also have some strange vignetting on the upper left corner. Not sure if you are using too many filters or what.

I would start by shooting single cars, not multiple and trying to think of what image you are trying to create when shooting. You can always learn by copying, too. Find images/angles you like on the internet and try to recreate them. You'll figure out what it takes to make that kind of image and start to understand why that image works vs. random shots.

Btw, the interior of the X5 looks great. I really like the lower belt line look and the lighting effects. It would be cool if in a future M model they had an illuminated line across the dash that changes color when you enter M mode.
I would agree with 2 main points here. The 50mm F1.8 is the best lens for the money that you can buy. That goes for Nikon or Canon shooters.

Secondly composition is mostly learned. Most of us are able to see and appreciate fine art but we can't come close to creating it.

The easiest way to learn composition is to find images you find most pleasing and study them. The angle it was shot, where the subject is in the photo, where the horizon is if there is one. Look at what you find interesting and look at things like what is in focus and what isn't. How deep into the scene is the subject?

With certain types of subjects or genres you will either want to see everything in focus (landscape) or just the subject (portrait). These effects are created by camera set up and lens choice. Lighting is also key. This can be natural or artificial.

I could go on but what you need to do is read as much as you can. There are a lot of online tutorials that are free. There are some very good ones on editing as well. Lightroom is a good program for 98% of what most people will need.

I was a pitiful photographer for years. Just out of pure ambition I pushed forward using my failures as opportunities to learn what didn't work and eventually finding things that did.

There is likely a photography club in your region if you look online. I suggest joining up and learning from others in the field. Learning on your own takes 10x longer.