View Single Post
      05-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #17
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

Because (and that was what I asked a long time ago)

In a diabetic, "generally" you have to balance your carb intake.

101:
More carbs, more insulin needed
Less carbs, less insulin needed

You work out you "insulin" intake from your guesstimate carbs, I don't do that as I'm on just 1 long acting shot. BUT if I don't eat enough, I'll crash, and go hypo. If I eat too much, my sugars rise, (with no natural insulin to deal with it) I go HYPER, I don't crash, but long term not good.

So, as you well put, eat less carbs..

So... I check my blood sugar before I go to bed, it's 7 (mmols let say)
I dont eat anything, wake up in the morning, check my blood sugar, it's 12.

Wait , what, why is there more sugar... BECAUSE like a dummy I forgot what diabetics called "Dawn phenomenon"

During the night, your body still uses sugar/carbs, IF that 7, drops to say a 4 or a 3, your body has a self protect mechanism, the kidneys, kick out some sugar, to stop you from going hypo.

Which is why, if you eat before bed, that blood sugar, though a 7 or an 8, will not drop, due to the carbs in your system, (a banana, yogurt, oatmeal etc)

I've woken up in the middle of the night in a hypo, and hungry like a MOFO,

same kinda effect during the day, generally, IF you don't eat enough carbs, and your blood sugar drops, your kidney kicks in and you BG's go through the roof.

It is a total mindf**k trying to deal with it in reality.

I always equate Diabetes to Rabies.

I am scared to eat carbs, but get hungry and HAVE to eat it.

I also feel it is a similar feeling to Bulimia, I have had bad issues with food,
I use food to hurt, I eat what I shouldn't because I know the effects, since I was a kid and being bullied and going through abuse, that food, love hate relationship screwed me over, (don't worry I got counselling for it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
I dont get it, if you're diabetic why eat any carbs at all beyond veggies?

I eat 50g a day, not a meal, that's more than enough to fuel my lifting workouts.
Appreciate 0