* Quality of food

2> whom are you tipping ?

* Waiting staff/server
* kitchen staff

So here is the thing, the "whole" shabang is based on team work,
from the chef, the line cooks, even the pot washer, busboys, and the servers

ANY thing can fall down on one sloppy part OR be let down by one sloppy part,

Tipping your waiter on great service, sure, was the food fantastically cooked,
are you going to tip the cook? wait what about the guy who peeled the spuds and did a fantastic job on garnish.
Wait, the washroom was sparkling? Whom you gonna tip for that?
The glasses are sparkling clean, you going to tip the pot washer boy.

The food is disgusting, but the server was AAA+ how do you tip ?

feel free to chime in..........
You tip the wait staff based on quality of service you perceive they provided. So if the food is not satisfactory but the service is outstanding, the waiter generally shouldn't be penalized with a terrible (or no) tip.

Now, if the waiter brings the wrong order and it is obviously the wrong order, it may be a mistake by the kitchen or the waiter when he put in the order - you can't tell. However, the waiter should be checking the order before bringing it to the table. So demerit for the waiter if that happens. Same for forgetting to stop back to see if everything is ok, or if anything else is needed, as well as for either rushing you out the door or not bringing the check in a timely manner. A poor attitude and rudeness are also reasons for a waiter to expect a reduced a tip.

The hourly pay rate for waiters is lower than minimum wage for others, reflecting the fact they get tips for service. People washing dishes, cooking, garnish, etc. are not getting paid on the same basis. I suppose you could tip them if you want, but it is not customary. In some cases, I think the tips may be shared but that is between the restaurant staff, not the customer. Overall, I don't think its that complicated.