06-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Anyone make the change from a 1-series to a Cayman? I am getting to a point where I'm bored with my car. Its a 2009 135i Auto, FBO on E40 Tune w/88k Miles and is mechanically sound. I typically drive less than 5k miles a year so its more of a weekend car.

Its dumb fast in a straight line, but it just doesn't feel exciting nor very special anymore. The N54 doesn't particularly sound great, even with an exhaust. I know that there will be a massive power difference between the two, but do the other driving aspects of the Porsche make up for it? I am looking at 2009 S's with low (50kish) miles. Any opinions?
It really comes down to what you think is fun. Some people are acceleration people, others are chassis people. Certainly, plenty of people like both. However, in this situation, I think you will need to make a choice between the two. You've been spoiled by the likely easy acceleration that doesn't require you to wring the car out within an inch of its life. The Cayman is a reasonably fast car, but it isn't that fast and the delivery will be completely different than your car. My prediction is that you'll think the Cayman is slow---possibly too slow.

I drove a 987 Boxster (non-S) soon after they came out. I had an 06 VW GTI at the time. Wow, I still remember that car to this day. It was faster than my GTI, but what really struck me is how awesome the car felt at all speeds. You don't need to go fast to really enjoy the detailing that you feel through the steering and brake pedal. And that flat-6 sounds fantastic.

Now though, would I feel the same? I moved on to cars much faster than my GTI or a regular 987 Boxster. They aren't nearly as precise, but I don't know if the speed I am accustomed to has ruined me to slower cars with a better balanced driving experience.
Appreciate 0