Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
1. lack of education - what you know about family planning is what you have learnt growing up, consuming information. Now imagine growing up with no access to education, library, internet, tv, etc.

2. underemployment/no employment coupled with no other forms of entertainment leave people with very little to nothing to do so they are home essentially doing nothing (See point 1 above)

3. cultural norms - in almost every culture, having children is a milestone in one's life. More children = greater chance of keeping the family name alive. Lots of old traditions and no understanding of how others live.

4. poverty is so bad that you need several people working full time in one household just to survive. Sure food costs increase incrementally per person but things like firewood, rent, etc. are fixed per household.

5. no access to condoms/birth control/sterilization

There was documentary that my gf saw where a group westerns spent a month living in a poor village that was far from any major city in some third world country. They spoke with the kids and asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up...the kids looked confused and responded they were going to be farmers - they didn't know of any other occupations.

we will never experience that level of poverty in a first world country - here you can be homeless but still have access to services, shelters, etc. You can even beg for money to help get by. In poor countries, none of that exists. You're on your own.
All valid points, I just can't help thinking it's too obvious that if you're struggling then don't make it harder on yourself. I'm not so sure you need any sort of an education for that, all you have to do is look around you.

Far be it from me to judge though, I'm not in that circumstance, I'm on the outside looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
While it's sad, is anyone surprised? I mean isn't a lot of stuff we buy produced by people in 3rd world countries? Didn't we have people jumping out the windows of the foxconn factory?

What I found more surprising is that tires are made from natural rubber. I thought surely with the volume of tires pumped out they would be using some kind of synthetic rubber.
You're absolutely right, not surprised at all.

And I was exactly the same, thinking wow, it's 2020 and they can't make tires out of 100% synthetic materials? Then again, everything carries a cost, and that's probably the root of it, either purely synthetic rubber is too expensive to manufacture to the standard of natural rubber, or the effect on the environment would be too heavy.
Appreciate 0