View Single Post
      01-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

thankxs Rj,

it's also a shift job, so some mornings, some afternoons, and on the early shifts I will be picking up my daughter, again near my job, so in theory,

some days will be early morning start, work, after start, pup daughter home
other days, afternoon start, work, late night start home
1 day, late night start 50 km drive, early morn start 50km drive home

but good points

I'm more worried about the battery as the bm's seem very electronic heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
This really is an ideal use case for an electric car. Biking, powered by man or machine, probably isn't a year-round solution since you're in Canadia.

As far as potential wear to the engine, I don't think this is any more or less wear than you would put on it before. It will still experience two cold starts per day, just without the long stretch of warmed up operation in the middle. It's one thing if you were making a higher frequency of cold-start trips, but you aren't so I don't see how that would negatively effect it.

Like mentioned, maybe exhaust moisture, catalysts not getting up to temp, brake rust, and battery charge are things that could potentially be affected, but these are usually negated in short order after starting the car.

The only thing to watch out for is that since your car will nearly never be at operating temperature, you need to have more self control with "spirited driving", since your opportunities will be fewer. Scratching that itch on a cold engine will increase wear.
Appreciate 0