dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Is this a thing?

Because I’m like oP- I noticed the quality of goods have gone down. Yeah, it’s made out of “solid wood” but what they don’t tell you is that it’s a cheap Chinese softwood or pine, vs oak or the like things USED to be made from.

Buying anything that has natural materials is prohibitively expensive, so everything is lined with plastic in different forms. Plastic fabric, microfiber “cloth” etc etc. they don’t last and cost as much or more than old quality furniture use to.

It’s a racket.
Yup. The dinning set we got looks nice, but it's some kind of soft wood no one has ever heard of. Still better and cheaper than the alternatives made of MDF though. It did take a whole weekend of going to every store just to find that one set we liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
100%. I'm at a loss at this point. I guess we have to buy mass produced junk no matter what?

We are not dropping $5k+ or some nonsense # on a sofa. We are not rich
Both my current sofa and my last sofa which I had for probably like 15 years I got at the R2G outlet. Not sure where you are located but around here all the big furniture stores have outlets where they sell off overstock and damaged items. It's a PITA because inventory changes all the time and a lot of the time they just have shit, but you can find the occasional deal on something that has a small scratch or has damage somewhere in the back where you don't see it.

And yes... unless you want to spend $5k a piece (some place like Restoration Hardware) you are basically stuck with mass produced shit. We also happen to like the look of mid century furniture... don't even get me started with that. Tack on another $1k to any of the mass produced junk if it's mid century modern style.

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 03-26-2024 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1083.50