Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Possibly. Since you mentioned NC breweries I have had some luck with some that I got last time I was in Asheville. Highland isn't bad either.
Highland is definitely good. Wicked Weed is good too (but you're trying to avoid the hoppy stuff and they have a bunch of that).

Foothills out of Winston Salem has some really good stuff. The Torch Pilsner from there is a fine example. The Kolsch I had was from Bull City Burgers and Brewery in Durham. The hefeweizen I have been drinking lately is my own recipe. No hop aroma or flavor to speak of. Just clove and a slight banana goodness. As far as darker beers go, I've recently really enjoyed the "Coffee is for Closers" coffee porter from Fullsteam Brewery. Only if you're into the coffee flavor though.

I've found myself enjoying good American Pale Ales more recently than the over-the-top hoppy IPA's and IIPA's that are so prevalent. I've actually made a recipe for a single malt, single hop session APA that I'm going to try soon. I just need room in my fermenter. I have a rye IPA in there now that I need to keg.