View Single Post
      11-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #75
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy75 View Post
I live at high altitude. Its lack of turbos is precisely why I wouldn't consider this one. Losing way too much HP up here.
You do realize you lose HP with turbos too? It's kind of a myth that car-turbos work like airplane turbos. Airplane turbos are put onto a huge engine that makes say 300hp at sea level with the turbo basically doing nothing and the turbo is used to slowly add boost as it climbs, maintaining 300hp all the way up to some critical altitude, like 14,000 feet, where it's doing it's maximum volumetric efficiency. That's where the turbo is working the hardest. With cars, the turbo is working the hardest at sea-level and is engineered go give max boost at SL, as you go up in altitude, it tapers off due to loss of atmospheric pressure, like NA.

Or in simple terms, it's like the car-turbo is already at 14,000 feet when it's at sea level. They don't design car turbos to deliver constant power as altitude increases.

Now, you could theoretically make a car turbo work like an airplane turbo, but in practice, no one really does that outside of some unique racing applications.