View Single Post
      01-03-2024, 11:19 PM   #21
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll just say this. Anyone who walks around with a combat rifle with the intent of getting into harms way, well in my book they can buy any car they effing want.
The reality in the military is that this isn't everyone, by far.

This is the one thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing. First, young kids getting into the military have no real idea what they are doing. Their brain isn't fully developed yet, they aren't making good decisions. This is one reason that businesses, especially those associated with loans, prey on them, but back to the actual military part of it: There are so many different jobs and many of those are not even in harms way, yet, people automatically think it's always like in the picture at the beginning of this thread, an infantryman or something like that. And I had no real idea what I was getting into. I thought I did at the time, but in reality, I did not. I served my time and there were good and bad times, but the idea that people made a "decision to sacrifice" is overblown. I interact with plenty of guardsmen and reserve that are milking the system over and over.

And then without the people back home, doing their job every day, there's nothing to defend. A teacher is at least as much of a hero to me and everyone doing their job is just as important, because again, without them there is no purpose to it all. There are people in all walks of life that deserve a hell of a lot more recognition for what they do than "all the people in the military".