11-12-2019, 02:23 AM   #252
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
The question I'm about to ask I already have and answer to but a small lack of understanding.

I was recently driving around at night when a pretty good snow storm (was basically a blizzard) hit. My lights being Xenon did not help my visibility at all. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you on low lit roads. At this point I pulled over for just a moment, put my fogs on and turned my lights to parking lights. Also keep my halos for being halos are pretty damn bright, they illuminate things in front of it a good amount. I noticed I can see a lot better without my high or low beams on. This brought up the idea.. I find it somewhat silly that having high/low beams off at night in a situation like this is still illegal. I think my pretty bright halos in conjunction with bright yellow fog lights should be enough, and I can always turn on the low beams when I see a car approaching.
For legal reasons I won't do this, unless there's a way around it.. Which I doubt
I agree that in certain inclement conditions like heavy fog or whiteout, low/high beam headlights reflect light and cause worsening visibility. Certain cars have alternative lighting that does, indeed, perform better in those conditions, but the California Vehicle Code - or any state's vehicle code - is written to cover all cars comprehensively. You'd be cited for a violation of CVC 24250 if you drove without your headlights in operation in California (...which carries a fine, a point and a potential license suspension, but the latter is unlikely under most circumstances), even with good intent and/or a reasonable explanation.....

....or maybe the officer would just warn you and advise you to turn on your headlights absent any other issues.
Appreciate 1