02-09-2022, 03:21 AM   #6
McPikie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutho View Post
Nice looking ride.. what year?
2006. Had lots of issues recently, namely after going into BMW for the batter cable recall.

Seems it did not need to be done, because the cable was fine, so they greased the terminal and replaced the plastic covers.

A month later, no power, wouldn't start. Recovery guy diagnosed battery as dead, so towed to the garage and replaced. Brill.

About 3 days later, dead again. Some power, but just clicking on the starter button. Tried to jump it on the terminals under the hood, nothing. Recovery comes out and fiddles with the starter wiring, it started. So, suggested starter motor is on the way out (it's on 160k). Garage replaced it. Brill.

a week later, dead again. I'm getting annoyed now. Managed to jump start it off the terminals under the hood. Drove to garage. Running over what else it can be and I mention the battery recall. He checks it out, and the connection pole between the cables is loose. I mean finger tight. The cable is also red hot. Like, about to cause a fire hot.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  54.8 KB

This was the issue all along.

So, a quick call to BMW, they managed to get me back in for a full new cable to be replaced, and covered the funds for the blown battery and starter motor which I had paid to have replaced.

Touch wood it's been OK since then
Appreciate 0