View Single Post
      08-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #28
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
This is not aimed directly at you but I really want to know why people think BMW is not focusing on an electric future. Everything BMW has done with regards to hybrid/electric vehicles is for this alone. Everyone is looking at these vehicles individually and thinking "that's all BMW has got or can come up with". No, these are all small steps towards EV vehicles - BMWi, BMW e vehicles/hybrid vehicles are all done to gain real-world information.

People like giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt but if you ask me, it's a lot easier for brands like BMW, Mercedes and Audi to crack that EV code than it is for Tesla to offer vehicles that rival the quality of the Germans.

If BMW/Audi/Mercedes all had a true Model 3 or Model S competitor, how many would still pick Tesla? If the Taycan was more affordable, would Tesla even be a choice?
The Model S came out SO long ago. Why would you think it's easier to figure out a completely new powertrain technology and vehicle layout than how to get rid of panel gaps? The Model S came out April 2009, which is a little over 11 years ago, and it will still run circles around any BMW EV coming soon. Tesla quality is probably "good enough" anyway for the most part since owners continue to be overwhelmingly positive in surveys about their experiences.

Tesla is a software company and the automotive experience is defined by software now. BMW is still 10 years behind in this regard as well. Porsche has matched their drivetrain, but will their software stack age well? Will they update it and add features OTA? There's also no good charging network. At least give them credit for seeing that the way to compete is to create an EV on a dedicated platform.

I am still an M car customer, but when it comes to the regular BMWs, I fail to see how BMW is going to fend Tesla off with this half-hearted strategy.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00