05-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #423
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Thank you!

Just last week, I'm amazed at how she still gets the zoomies at almost 8 years old. Then she's having some trouble walking. I wait a day and she's not eating, not drinking, hiding under the bed (NEVER done that before) and won't even look at me. So I take her in to ER. They find a painful spot, give her pain meds and prednisone and say watch her. Next day she has no motor control of hind quarters, so I take her back and they recommend immediate surgery, since she still has a response to pain on the pads. I agonized because I was afraid the wife would nix anything over $1000, but we dropped a deposit of 6k and they did the surgery.

QUALITY of life is at least as important as quantity. I'm giving her a chance, I'm just confused when it's time to let go and not put her thru more misery to postpone my own loss.

So far, I lack the ability to communicate to her that I"m doing this for her to get better and stay with us longer, nor to tell her she can't come home with us until she can pee.
Your experience is exactly what we went through with Sophie, our 7 year old doxie, back in November of last year. Sounds like your dog had IVDD? We made the decision on the spot, without question, to do the surgery. By the time you add up all the bills including follow up visits and a couple PT visits it was $10k all in. She was clearly in more pain before the surgery than after so from that perspective, even though we put her under the knife it brought immediate pain relief. I'm sure she was pretty frightened those 3 days she had to stay in the hospital after the surgery, but she was heavily medicated and well looked after so I really dont think it was all that bad.

Was it worth it? 100% yes. She's totally recovered and doing great. She's her old self again. Here she is enjoying life over memorial day, contemplation a swim and smelling the flowers in a field with her big sister.

Keep us posted on how the recovery is coming along.

Appreciate 3
Rmtt8211.00
Ickdeep5718.50
No one1040.00