03-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #101
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
The level of ignorance in this thread......

Reverse engineering, meaning someone takes apart any give object and copies it exactly, bypassing the entire R&D portion of development, is a fraction of the cost. That's why you see so many knock off aftermarket pieces for so cheap. Anyone can make a simple mold of an OEM BMW Performance Splitter and manufacture it in China much cheaper than what it cost BMW to do a proper CAD design, tooling, wind tunnel testing...etc.

I don't have much respect for people that don't have respect for intellectual property. The people that justify stealing ideas/designs/inventions or justify buying those same items so they can save a few dollars are no better. They don't fear having their ideas stolen because they will never have an original thought themselves.
There is a very good reason that patents run out after a period of time. In your utopian world where nobody uses anyone else's ideas and only those who have done R&D are allowed to sell a design, everything costs WAY WAY WAY more to recoup the R&D and everyone who isn't selling a product is broke. Like you I want and like the real McCoy but a capitalistic society can't exist if everyone is bent over paying the proprietary tax on everything that they buy.

Just like you I have respect for the original design and authenticity so I buy real watches. However, don't understand why it's a problem for me if others buy counterfeits. In fact it makes my real piece that much cooler to me, and of those buying counterfeits, maybe 0.001% would have been able to buy the real thing anyway. Other people wearing counterfeits shouldn't be a problem unless you're upset that they are getting what you paid for, less what you paid for it.

Last edited by PINeely; 03-10-2014 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0