10-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #76
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Which proves my point. It's not self driving if you need to pay attention, the moment you need a person to pay any sort of attention the technology is not only useless but worse than the current state as lulls a false sense of security.

We are so far from this working it is hilarious.
Exactly. Real autopilot in aircraft does not alleviate the pilot from flying the airplane. The pilot monitors the plane flight from the cockpit as do ANSPs who are not in the cockpit. Because of flight rules and mandatory distancing, there is time to correct for machine error. This is different for automobiles, where the "flight" environment is full of traffic and obstacles that are easily run into and difficult to avoid because traffic moves and remains nonstationary. There is virtually no time to correct for machine error. No one outside the cockpit is watching the car and can warn the pilot of a flight track error.

I equate the false sense of security perceived by Tesla's AutoPilot (or anyone's autopilot) to operating a dishwasher. No one watches their dishwasher wash the dishes. A dishwasher is a fully autonomous operation. FSD like AutoPilot (Tesla's official name) is not a fully autonomous operation, it has to be watched by the driver. Tesla instructs the driver he must watch the car drive while in AutoPilot. I would find that utterly boring and easily distract myself with other activities. Being that I actually care about my life, I'd rather apply my attention to actually controlling the vehicle rather than watch a computer attempt to drive the car.

I use a dishwasher to free my time from mundane tasks to focus my attention to other things, like entertaining dinner guests after dinner. If the dishwasher screws up, no one dies; I correct the problem and just start it over. If a person finds driving a mundane task, then they should hire someone to drive them around.

I'm just not in the camp of thought that autonomous driving is going to reduce accidents and fatalities if all other aspects of the current driving environment remain the same. That means no sperate lanes for autonomous vehicles, no reduction in average traffic speed, and no decrease in traffic volume.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-30-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00