View Single Post
      07-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #55
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Engineer here;the difference is weight and space utilization compared to an EV-specific skateboard platform and consequently, appearance. Note that the most efficient (spacewise) skateboard platforms have a shorter distance between the front axle and the passenger compartment and a larger passenger compartment than an equivalent ICE vehicle. Wheelbase for a given overall length also is greater.

I do not have any solid data for a lower weight. But, I suspect that once data comes out for direct comparison of ICE-adapted platforms vs. skateboard platforms it will be evident. Difficulty is finding apples to compare to apples. For instance: 1) what do we compare the iX3 to--Model Y or the upcoming Audi Q4 e-Tron?. 2) Do we compare the EV 3-series to the Polestar Model 2 or the Model 3? 3) Do we compare the ICE-adapted 5-series to the upcoming single-motor Porsche Taycan? It looks like the Taycan is smaller than the 5-series, but the interior is close to the same size. 4) The Jaguar i-Pace looks like a reasonable comparison to the X2, which uses the X1 (and Mini Countryman) platform. 5) If the upcoming i-next is indeed X5 size, we will have a good space utilization comparison. If M-B does discontinue the ICE-adapted EQC platform to an all-new skateboard platform for a new EQC in 2022 we might have a good basis for comparison of both weight and space utilization.

It's 2022 when we will start having a variety of "real" EV's (apart from Tesla) to look to for comparison to BMW's ICE-adapted platforms. Plus, we will be able to stay within price categories. A Jag i-Pace will surely cost more than an EV X1 and an EV 5-series will probably cost less than a single-motor Porsche Taycan. My thesis is that BMW's strategy of going with ICE-adapted EV's will be tested starting in 2022. Perhaps it will turn out to be the best mid-term strategy. They will be able to sell their bread and butter ICE cars and offer EV's that look like "normal" cars giving them time to come up with state of the art pure EV's. IMO the average car buyer will look at two objective things when EV shopping: range and space. How will BMW's ICE-adapted platforms come out in that comparison? The subjective things like appearance will also play a role but it's a guessing game as to whether preferences will go to "EV-looking" vehicles or "conventional-looking" vehicles. I think the first adopters strongly preferred their EV to look like an EV for social differentiating purposes. Will Joe or Betty "everyperson" feel the same? IMO, the long-term future is EV's and the question BMW has dealt with is when does that long-term arrive and how do they get there.
Thanks! Very informative. Ties into your previous comment that the "sweet spot" for the combo platform is for PHVs. One step closer to being an engineer.
Appreciate 0