View Single Post
      12-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #6
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi

Another update for those who care:

2 weekends ago, I did another PS flush. Still getting some groan when I full lock the steering wheel and the reservoir, while green-coloured, is still pretty murky. Probably just need to get the reservoir replaced as I'm sure the filter in it is absolutely dusted.

This past weekend, I cleaned my VANOS solenoids. It was something I'd been meaning to get to, but other items ended up taking priority. I got the usual benefits of cleaning the solenoids - smoother ride, cleaner idle, better gas mileage, etc. Most interestingly, though, my shuddering issue when turning actually got better after the cleaning. This leads me to believe that at least part of my shuddering was a power/misfiring issue in the engine that made the power application when steering wonky.

For the next two days after the cleaning, I couldn't get the steering shuddering to replicate. Another couple of days after that, it's started to come back, but not nearly as viciously as before. While it used to feel like I was driving over loose gravel (or sometimes, my entire front wheel lmao), it now instead feels more like a wobble with some very light power fluctuation. Additionally, the issue crops up much less frequently - only when the steering wheel is fully-locked and applying power too suddenly. If I let the engine work its way through the turn, it remains a slight wobble without any feeling of power fluctuation.

I've got about 4000 miles until my next oil change. Was planning on getting myself a birthday present of a proper jack and stands and doing it myself, but I do need to get that 1000-mile-old transfer case fluid warning addressed. Might as well get the diffs flushed and my power steering looked at at the same time. So, unless something starts getting noticeably worse, I'm just going to keep dailying her for a few months. So that's where I'm at for now.

I guess on a side note, she's not riding as smooth as other bimmers I've driven. There's some noticeable vibration and road noise (but not unmanageable) that increases with speed. Additionally, despite getting an alignment about 2000 miles ago, it's already pulling to the right (I do wonder if there was a mishap when the brake rotors got replaced shortly afterward). Tyres have about 40,000 on them and I plan to get fresh wheels at the same time to replace the stock rims, which might help with the problem if it's merely a traction or bent wheel issue. However, amidst that, I probably need to get the bearings, axle, and whole suspension checked. These areas could very much be contributing to my steering issue, but with so many things to check over, any one thing could be doing it really. Ah well.

Thanks for following my adventure so far. I'm still having an absolute blast with the car and have all sorts of ideas I want to pursue. Though, like getting a stone out of your shoe, I'm really looking forward to hopping back on this thread in the near future and going "EVERYTHING'S PERFECT!" Until then, happy driving, lads.
Appreciate 0