View Single Post
      12-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi

UPDATE:

So I've completed full flush one, as in, one full pint of CHF 11S has been put into my system. Even after that, though, the fluid was still coming out murky. Gotta run and grab another can so I can flush again tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever mechanic last changed the fluid used ATF instead of CHF 11S. Came out smelling hella burnt and in the baster, definitely had a brownish/reddish color. Hopefully full flush number 2 gets the job done.

What I have noticed is the steering wheel feels a little more responsive. Full-lock groan isn't fully gone but quieter. However, I'm still having that rumbling/shuddering feeling. After doing tight circles in a parking lot for a few minutes, it can be best described as if I'm driving over gravel/loose stones. It's not as noticeable on the right side anymore, though there's a very quiet grinding noise that only appears when the steering wheel hits about 80%. Meanwhile, the shuddering feels worse on the left side, occurring when the wheel hits about 75% and getting more violent the closer I get to full lock.

For reference, the car had a rotation, alignment, wheel balance, brake pad, and brake rotor change about 400 miles ago. The wheels are nearing 5 years old and have about 45,000 miles on them, but they're still at about 7/32" (5-6mm) of tread all around. Tire pressure okay. OEM wheels so I can't imagine it's any rubbing issue. I think I can feel the shuddering issue a little bit on the left side while braking in a straight-ish line, but the roads around me are really uneven so I might just be paranoid there.

Any more thoughts? I'm hoping another full PS flush will resolve the issue, but I'm feeling more and more inclined that I'm experiencing a steering rack (gearbox?) or overall pump issue.
Appreciate 0