12-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
I can't imagine why a transfer case problem would manifest itself in the steering, although you should change the oil and reset the adaptations.
Yeah I'll definitely get that oil changed. Thinking I'll coincide it with a PS leak check/reservoir replacement and an oil change just because I'm feeling lazy and don't want to do those things in the cold. Was really just wondering about the TC because it sits up at the front near the PS rack and from what I've read on the forums, when it goes bad, it provides similar-ish feedback to PS issues. Hard for me to discern though, as this is my first AWD, first BMW, and first time I've had PS issues, so it's difficult for me to tell the different issues apart from feel/sound, especially based on what I can find online.

Quote:
You could do the turkey baster method on the PS to change out some of the fluid instead of a full rack flush just to see if that improves the shudder
Yep, that's exactly what I was going to do today. Found a jug to keep the old fluid in as well as an old turkey baster. Was going to combine and drain until I use all the fluid and see where it gets me. Hopefully it solves the issue and I can start driving with my music on again lol.

Quote:
although if you are getting the VTG life minder warning, your car is up there on miles and it may just be the PS pump going. The PS bomb always seems to have fluid seeping out of the connections, so I'd say that is pretty normal.
Yeah, 125,000. It's been well-kept. All recalls kept up with, regular oil changes, lots of sensors have been replaced, tensioner/pulley/serpentine belt have all been replaced, flushed transmission fluid, the works really. Only thing that hasn't been touched to my knowledge is the power steering. Had it in the shop the other day because a piece of heat shielding on the undercarriage came loose and I didn't have the equipment to get to it. Asked them to run a diagnostic while they had it, but for whatever reason they didn't mention the VTG error and definitely didn't check the PS system for leaks/faults. Bit miffed, because I would have gotten them to do those while they had the car. Oh well. I'll take it in again to get the TC oil changed, and while it's there I'll get them to check the full PS system. Hopefully the pump can hold on for another 5,000-10,000mi - really don't want to spend cash on the replacement right now.
Appreciate 0