Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr2M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
All systems have positive and negative attributes. I'm curious why you find C4 so superior. Would you elaborate?
Configurable keypads with engraved buttons that are backlit

Zigbee Pro for meshing and continued adding of system components

Their touchscreens are sweet

Built in music services are over a dozen... not 2

Excellent audio video control

App is sweet. OS3 is a killer interface

Strong 3rd party component integration, HDMI matrixes, tv's, avrs, blinds, irrigation, cameras etc

Wireless motion sensors that are the size of a thumb which can be placed in the perfect location for sensing motion

As an example, my programmer installed a wireless motion sensor at my front door. Now if someone approaches, I get an alert, my tv switches to the entrance cam view and a snapshot gets emailed to me, excellent for letting me know when the Amazon package has arrived or if I want to answer the knock on the door from a salesman

Again I'm not knocking Loxone, I'm sure it's great for what it is and what it costs.... it's got its place but let's be real, it's not on the same level as Control4 or Crestron. Without really good a/v control, it can't be.
What you're describing is a great control system. While I probably prefer Savant over C4, but they're both excellent systems that have different design goals than Loxone. Saying Loxone "is not on the same level" as those systems is akin to saying an M3 isn't on the same level as a Jeep Rubicon because the M3 can't go off road or cross a stream. Loxone isn't trying to aggregate third party devices into a single interface. Loxone is focused on bringing intelligence or "smarts" to the critical systems of the home. In this regard you might say C4 and Savant aren't "on the same level" as Loxone.

I should have foreseen people running competing systems in their home would trash everything else as being sub-par.
Nah, thats BS. Not bashing anything because its not in my house. I dont currently have Savant or Crestron but they make great products. However, you are the one that initially said, "Call me biased, but I genuinely believe Loxone is providing an experience at least a generation ahead of every other smart home (aka: automation) system available." Followed by a bunch of marketing quotes.

So a generation ahead of what? Certainly not user interface and a/v distribution. Lets be honest, Loxone may have a unique approach to lighting and hvac but is severely lacking in many other areas, areas I have repeatedly mentioned but you have not addressed at all. Again, why I see a Loxone user looking to install C4 along side it.

Question for everyone: how do you define a "smart home?"
I would suggest most people think of a smart home as having central control of major systems including lighting, audio, video, security, doors and hvac. Offsite control and automation would be included. Wikipedia and other online sources concur with that general definition.

You are hinting at a smart home being "smarter" in that in knows certain items such as where you are and what lighting and hvac setting should be based on certain conditions. Indeed, it is an interesting concept. But are users willing to give up superior control of the other systems? Would Loxone be better integrated with additional automation system that does other things better? I just dont see Loxone's being compelling enough in its offering to replace current more developed "control systems".
Consider how many homes have lighting, HVAC, and a doorbell. Compare that with how many homes have anything more than their TV programmed to the cable provider's remote control. I would argue that for the vast majority of homeowners, it would be a mistake to pick a smart home solution based on how well it handles AV gear. For the people who it is appropriate (like the distributed video example we mentioned), then perhaps Savant, C4, RTi is a better tool for the job. Even then- there's something to be said for separating the home's critical systems (HVAC, lighting) from the main control system. Many of the highest-end integrators I know adhere to this concept, but their clients aren't as concerned about price as they are about performance and reliability.

Curious- Did you integrate your security components (alarm system arm and disarm functions, surveillance cameras) into your C4 system?
The "vast majority of homeowner" are not buying a home automation system. How many people are interested in lighting and hvac control automation but nothing else? Not many. And separating major systems is exactly what I argued was a disadvantage of Loxone. That is why we have Lutron lighting and C4 automation. I guess I could see homes with Loxone and a more traditional control system integrated.
Appreciate 0