View Single Post
      11-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #19
Rookie84
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Chevy Caprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I agree but let's be honest is it $10,000 (or, rather, retail price of the submariner minus retail price of the invicta) worth of quality difference?

I mean honestly maybe there is. I'm not a watch guy so I don't know. But, even if there is a $10,000 difference in quality it almost seems as though that quality is going towards things that neither appreciably enhance the accuracy of the watch nor augment the aesthetics, and I'd argue that aesthetics and accuracy are two of the most important factors when it comes to deciding on a watch.

Here's sort of a silly example to drive the point home - imagine you had a set of rims where the inside surface of the rims (away from view unless you're underneath the car) was coated in diamonds. The rims would be more expensive but would the diamond plating add to functionality or aesthetics? Probably not. Would the rims technically be of higher quality? Sure, but it's not "functionally" higher quality because the diamond plating doesn't really make the rims any sturdier nor does it enhance the outward appearance in an appreciable way.
Rolex, along with other watchmakers with rich history, invests a lot of money into developing their own movements. Sure, they invest a lot of money in marketing as well, but they do have a lot to show for when it comes to technological advancements in mechanical watches.

If we were talking on functionality alone, there is no reason to buy a mechanical watch. Quartz is more accurate most of the time and does not require expensive overhaul which costs hundreds or dollars every few years.

I don't think you should be so quick to jump to a conclusion when you are not that familiar with how mechanical watches work and what kind of work goes into creating a new movement, along with craftsmanship that goes into it. There are so many details that go into smallest parts, along with different materials used for the aesthetics. No, it is not the same as putting diamond plating on the inside of the rim which has no point and nobody will ever see. I think a fair comparison would be 6.0L V8 producing 400hp and 3.8L flat six producing 400hp. Both produce similar results, but the technology is far more advanced in 3.8L engine, and the sensation you get from it is totally different. Some might prefer the simpler, cheaper solution of a bigger engine, but to others, the thrill of taking a small, high-revving engine to the redline is much more appreciated, along with the latter being lighter in weight. The engine is inside the car so you can't see it most of the time, and you can't even see the beautiful work that goes into the internal parts to create a high-revving NA engine with over 100hp per liter. But does it make a difference, hell yeah it does.

The problem with Invicta is that they try to profit off of someone else's designs. The watches look similar to the most part, but the finish, along with the craftsmanship and technology that goes inside it, is totally different.

Let me pick one great example to show how Invicta tries to pass off their movements to look similar to those from high-end makers. They put a sticker on the rotor instead of decorating it to make it look like they have decorated it. That is very lame.

I don't have problems with quality watches that provide a lot of bang for your buck. However, like I said, it is like Ebay parts. They did not do their designs, but instead copied someone else's design to make profit. Sure, they will look similar and function similarly, but the quality is never the same.

I do agree that high-end watches are overpriced for the most part. However, there are many better choices out there if you want a reasonably priced mechanical watch with good movements instead of a rip-off design with cheaper movements.

Invicta does sell watches of their own design, but they are much more expensive than their rip-off designs. It just shows you that how much costs are involved in making a good own design instead of stealing a design.
Appreciate 0