09-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
I feel your pain dude. I was about your age when I first started getting migraines. The first one I had started without pain, but with a total loss of peripheral vision. I thought I was having a stroke. Within an hour I was experiencing crushing pain in my head. From then on, I would get one migraine in the spring and one in the fall, which I attributed to season/pressure change. On a couple of occasions, I have had one in the summer or winter, but these are very rare for me.
Almost all of the time for me, I get a vision issue which serves as a warning that the headache is coming. These cues are either a small temporary blind spot or sometimes a spot in my field of view that appears like a sparkling watermark (like a patch of water on a glass lens, that covers maybe 10-20% of the lens). By the time the pain sets in, I start experiencing nausea, and I start getting hot, then cold in short cycles, so I am in total physical discomfort. At this point, I am completely incapacitated, unable to do anything but lay down in a dark room, with the pain being almost unbearable. After a while, I will usually vomit, at which point the pain does not subside, but I can usually fall asleep. Most times when I wake up after at least a few hours sleep, the pain is almost gone, but I am left with a 24-hour period where it feels like my brain is fried (guessing by your original post, that you know full well what that feels like ).
The triggers for me, have been hard to pinpoint and/or verify, since once I have a suspicion that it was something I ate or drank, I totally avoid whatever it was moving forward. A couple of things I avoid are White Wine and Orange Gatorade. Sounds goofy, I know, but I will avoid just about anything if I believe it’s a trigger. I still drink tons of red wine, beer and other booze, so the trigger is not simply alcohol. Other flavours of Gatorade are fine for me too (actually it was only one time that I had a migraine after an orange one, but that was the last orange one I have ever had).
Appreciate 0