03-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #132
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Do you think this applies to buying a new versus a used car?

For example, isn't it reasonable to make the following argument: "When someone sees another person driving an E92 M3, they might think 'oh wow, that person is sufficiently successful to the point where he or she can afford an $80,000 car!'"

What if that M3 owner actually paid a fraction of that $80,000 to buy a used M3, though? Isn't this person perhaps being deliberately deceptive and flaunting a level of wealth that he or she may not actually have?

Granted, the analogy isn't perfect because the main purpose of a car isn't to be a status symbol (I hope).

Note: I don't actually think like this. I think this line of reasoning is incredibly elitist and it doesn't really sit well with me. I don't like trying to assess other peoples' wealth based on their material possessions, and moreover it just doesn't matter to me. I'm really just playing the devil's advocate here to spur more discussion.
I personally don't judge a person based on their possessions. However, these brands are considered luxury items for a reason. What sense does it make to wear a knock off Rolex? Simple, you want to have a rolex, but you can't afford it.

New or used it doesn't really make a difference to the argument. The argument is about an authentic rolex, compared to a knock off. You can buy an authentic last season entry line rolex for a 4k from ben bridge, similar to buying a year old CPO m3. It all depends on the individual. If I cant afford it, I won't buy a knock off. I am not trying to bash the members here that wearing fakes, but I don't see the point. Buy what you can afford, and rock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Good analogy, only difference a fake badge won't turn your wrist green.
lol.