02-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
1. I think it's the picture. I've never noticed this before (I just took another picture and it looks the opposite, I'll have to check it out, it's too much snow on the lawn couldn't get a better view)
2. The tree doesn't give much shade to panels
3. Upper roof is actually warmer, lower roof has no insulation and no heat

I think unlike lower roof, upper roof panels are way too far from the edge and snow and ice just massively builds up there which doesn't let anything slide down. It all start to melt during the day and just freezes into ice at night. I end up with huge ice dams on this side only
While the mounting location might be different I think you will find that it will be impossible to get them to move the panels closer to the edge of the roof in the hopes that it will stop snow from piling up and staying on the roof (under warranty, paying them and they will do anything you want). Is there some "correct distance" that they didn't follow? If not I don't see this working even if it turns out one distance is better.

I think there is something different in the two roofs, not just the mounting, whether it is insulation differences, heat in the building, slope of the roof or sunlight. Upper roof is covered in snow, lower roof has zero snow, even in the small areas on the side of the panels or below them.

With as high as the sun still is in the picture and the shadow of the tree already on the roof, I think the lower roof is getting more sun, contributing to the problem.

Last edited by David70; 02-24-2021 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615482.50