11-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
kspr030
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e60

550i issues - no warranty - what to do

Hi,

2 weeks sago I drove 3 hours to Seattle and I traded my '06 325i of for a '08 (1 owner) 550i, 77k miles. Amazing car. Super happy with it.

But this week I took it to a BMW dealer in Portland (where I live) for a free fall check up and several things came to light:
Transmission fluid leak, and engine oil leak. Got quoted for $1500 repair. I went for 2nd opinion to a BMW specialized shop in town and they even found more problems and quoted me $2400 for needed repair. (Valve cover gaskets and upper timing cover & Transmssion pan and sealing sleeve).

When I purchased the 550i 2 weeks ago it was sold "As Is" and "No Warranty". They did handed me over an inspection report (that I still have) and engine and transmission fluid check were all part of it and signed off as OK. Also they promised me it was in great shape and if any issues they would take care of it. Based on that information I agreed on the deal.

I hit up the dealer in Seattle and they don't want to help. They claim 'it is a used car" and they sold if for a price so low that they don't have a buffer to help compensate me with these costs. (it was not below KBB)

I do understand a used car is always a risk and comes with certain (some unforeseen) wear and tear. I already had a few minor things taken care off myself (window repair, seat repair, new wipers). But I feel these more substantial leak issues with engine and transmission are more serious and should be addressed.

Either they knew and didn't tell me.
Or they didn't know. Then it would mean they may had a not 100% ok vehicle brought in and their inspection failed. Which is not fair to throw that on the costumer. They should sympathize and help with solution.

Any of you have had similar situation and have advice?
Any legal rights I have?
What you guys recommend?

Thanks so much
Appreciate 0