View Single Post
      07-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Clearly your settings are in the neighborhood.

Tripod for sure. I was going to say mirror lock up but you don't have one. Delayed shutter / timer function will help as well.

For settings, look at what the camera ran while on auto, and then use those manually for starters. Then decrease the shutter speed to slow it down and get in more light for too dark a picture, or vice-versa.

Check ISO as well, try to keep it low enough to avoid noise, and make up for the lost sensitivity by having a slower shutter speed / let in more light. Maybe hard set ISO, then give an auto run, then transfer those settings to manual.

What time of night did you take this? Pretty cool that you did so.
Thank you. Just exactly the awesome advice I was looking for. I will definitely follow your ideas tonight and see what comes out. I'll post if I get a good one.

The photo I posted was taken at 9:38 PM in the Walnut Creek, CA area. For this location, it was the best time. Any earlier the sky was too bright to see it. I suppose there was a 20 minute window for great viewing from 9:35pm until 9:55 pm at my location. Of course, that changes with latitude and longitude differences.

Regarding the camera, I got the A6500 Sony after years with a Nikon that was past its prime technology wise. The Sony is great. I'd recommend it to anybody who doesn't require a full frame camera.

Thanks again for your help. I will give it another try tonight.
Appreciate 1