Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPod View Post
Hi Tracus,
Thanks for sharing your experience.
it's certainly eye-opening for me seeing that all-weather tires might perform adequately in winter conditions (living in Canada as well, I'm used to have a dedicated set of winter tires/rims on my current and previous cars).
Perhaps I missed it in this thread but what all weather tires do you use?
is it Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 ?
also are there any other all-weather tires you personally had experience with?

i didn't know there was a difference between all-season and all-weather tires and all-weather tires might be something i'll look into on my future cars. (my current car is RWD)
Hello OrcaPod,

One of our DD is 2012 X1 xDrive. We love the car so much that it will stay with us. I have switched from runflats to normal tire two months after purchasing the vehicle. Won’t go in that debacle but I am happy since. Due to several reasons (explained in the comments in this thread) i decided to go for the all weather.

All season are tires made of a softer compound (able to still run on some light snow) with mix of patterns that can handle both summer and winter. But, they are very generic, and for that reason are not very good in snow, and may be unusable in bigger snow. Yet, I use even those succesfully.

All weather are a different kind of tires, as half of the pattern is a summer one, and half is winter. (see picture ). They can handle both seasons in a respectful manner if you understand their limits. They will handle very well summer and very well winter, including snowy winters. Their braking distance will not be as good as a dedicated tire (yet they are getting really close), but they are engineered to run well in both conditions. And they get better in time.

Is like having different braking pads: some are very grippy and with an aggressive bite; but that comes with a lot of brake dust. Some, don’t bite as hard but they are more forgiven. Is a matter to getting use to them, and after that you will automatically adapt to your new setting.
Same with these tires. Like a colleague said earlier, there is no 100% confidence in winter driving anyway.

I am running Continental DWS 06, I am on my third set and I am doing wonderful. I always replace them before they reach 60% thread left. It handles winter storms and blizzards and all the snow like a champ. In summer they have been very good as well, as many times I am running at high speeds, pushing the odometer on its last quarter.

An all weather tire can work fine and be very ok on a AWD vehicle, or even a FWD. The AWD system is a big plus and compensates the lack of a full dedicated winter tire. The tires got better, and BMW RWD does not really need that bag of sand in the trunk anymore. But, That being said, even with dedicated winter on RWD, I have seen problems and an all-weather might be just an acceptable compromise. Yet, it depends on the conditions you are driving, the tire you pick and your experience as a driver. I used to own an AWD Jaguar that runned on all season Michelin MXV4 and -in all 8 years with me- I never got an issue. It was my DD but was a Haldex AWD.
I am driving in some really hard snows sometimes, so my RWD is just a summer car. This is why being in Canada my DD is an XDrive. For me, AWD and an excellent all weather are very good and I never got stuck.

Some, claim that some new all weather can beat dedicated winter. Well, some very good all weather can be indeed better that a shitty winter tire.

https://www.consumerreports.org/vide...me-snow-tires/

You can try it but make sure you buy a very good all weather. Nokian WR G4 is an excellent tire, yet was not available for my dimensions.

Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 10-29-2019 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
OrcaPod73.50