View Single Post
      04-09-2017, 02:38 AM   #144
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
When I lived in Calif this suggestion came up as well and people went nuts and said you can not do that to the homeless. Part of the idea was to relocate the homeless to less expense places to live since most of the homeless was due to the high cost of living and cost to rent or buy a home. The other suggest was to move them to Military base down along the coast which the government shut down, they were homes and barracks there the home could live in and there was 3 golf courses as well. Again people when nuts can said we could not force homeless people to live on a military base, it was okay for our military personal but not okay for homeless people
Well I live in California... Orange County specifically in one of the better parts of Santa Ana (yes there are nice parts of Santa Ana) and they found a way to send all the homeless people to lesser places without causing any kind of outrage.

They've set it up so that pretty much all the homeless is getting funneled into the Santa River bed and into Santa Ana itself. Here's how.

1) None of the surrounding areas have "emergency" homeless shelters. Sure they have homeless shelters however they don't have "emergency" homeless shelters. Other types of homeless shelters require a waitlist, background check, and application... however emergency homeless shelters don't require any of that. So for instance when a police officer from Irvine picks up a homeless person in Irvine they are mandated to take them to the nearest "emergency" homeless shelter... guess where that is? In Santa Ana!!!
2) All the surrounding cities have passed regulations that don't allow for free meals for homeless. What that means is that if the good people of Fullerton want to do something good and feed the homeless... they can't legally hold such a food drive in Fullerton. They have to do it in a city that allows it. You know which city that is? You guessed it... Santa Ana.

This allows surrounding cities to legally funnel homeless into Santa Ana without having a direct policy about it. Since a direct policy would cause outrage. Essentially this is like having a bad neighbor kick dog poop from their lawn onto yours and having legal authority to do it.

To make things worse, alot of the Homeless (especially the ones living along the Santa Ana River) don't want to stay in a shelter with rules and regulations since they just want to stay along the river where they can do drugs all day. (Someone mentioned about playing Enya on a continuous loop... hmmm that might be a good idea... get an all weather boombox and stick it in a lock box up on a tree... I'm gonna have to bring that up to my neighbors)

Also the police aren't getting the homeless for loitering anymore since with the new laws they will be back out on the streets that same day. (I think someone mentioned about filing police reports instead of just calling... that way the PD will get tired of filing the reports and come up with ways to keep the homeless out?)

Since Santa Ana is going through a gentrification with all the live/ work lofts, indie bar & resturants, hipster food halls, and coffee shops that recently opened the city is going to need to do something about this.
Appreciate 0