08-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #347
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2wdc View Post
My 2006 330i 6MT was one of the most reliable fun versatile cars I have ever owned. The 6MT was excellent and even though it was my weekend/fun car, it did amazing in limited commute duties. It's actually one of the reasons I blew up my commute car/weekend two car model and to get one car: new 2017 GLI 6MT.

I never really considered my 330i to be reliable enough to use it as my "one" car, but based on what you are saying and my own research I think I made a mistake. Seeing the reliability reviews for the E90, the biggest issues are with the E90 335 turbo cars, not the NA engines.
So I define reliability ultimately as, does the car leave me on the side of the road needing a tow truck. After 930,000 driven miles on 5 BMWs, four of which I still have, I've only needed a tow truck twice. Granted the starter on my E46 died right after I bought it, but it was at home, so could it count? Maybe, but being a manual, I could have bump started it anyway (one of the benefits of a manual transmission). And maybe the alternator on the E90 could count (@ 315,000 miles), but I was close enough to get it home. So I'll say 3 breakdowns in 930,000 miles. That's a great record in my book.

My E90, having reached 395,000 miles and at the shape it is in, it's been a tank, I don't give a shit what anyone tries to say otherwise. I've been in a 170,000 Camry, owned by a typical Toyota owner (work mate of mine) thinking it will last forever with no maintenance. It needed a suspension rebuild (I could tell by just riding in the back seat). It lost the alternator at 175,000. Then the cooling system broke soon after. He got rid of it and bought his wife a new car. My E90 was (is) in better shape than that POS Toyota at over double the mileage.

All cars break; they are machines after all.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-02-2020 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0