09-30-2023, 10:06 AM   #3
carconn
CarConn
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 528i

Question I did change the pump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfrey81 View Post
If the pump side had a big difference in level then I think it is most likely the pump. Mine had actually gone out back in May. I would come to a stop sign and it would act like it wanted to stall. That happened twice (on same trip) that evening. The very next morning it was acting like it was out of gas and then just stalled out on me while I was driving. If course it was raining and it was 330am. I was 1.5 miles from home lol I pushed car into a driveway and proceeded to run codes with my OBDLink CX Bluetooth scanner. If I remember correctly, I only pulled one code related to the fuel pump of the about 17 or so codes that came up. And even then it wasn't an obvious code. Had it towed to the house and after troubleshooting EVERYTHING else it could possibly be, I broke down and bought a Bosch fuel pump and fuel filter. As a way to troubleshoot the pump before that though, I would let it crank over for about 10 seconds and then when I checked the pressure at the rail, it was like u said. It dribbled out at best. There was a brief 20 seconds during all the cranking and troubleshooting that it started up and ran. But like I said, it was only 20 seconds. Never started up after that until I changed the pump and filter. I use several different paid apps with my scanner and bimmertool lite shows fuel rail pressure as well as has numerous service functions it can do. The pressure normally should be 80+ psi. I don't know the exact number but mine idles around 89 I think.

I have a 2008 528i, btw. With 298k.
Thanks for the reply

I did change the pump, but car still won't start! I thought it might be the EKPS fuel pump control module, so I ordered an aftermarket one off eBay, which was a total waste of time! Neither my BMW scanner nor INPA could even see the module at all, so I couldn't program it. I finally got a couple of EKPS modules from the junk yard, coded them to my car, and still no-start.
I can run the pump using the scanner or INPA, but pressure is still low.

Now I'm getting 2 codes after cranking/no-start.
651B - Suction Jet Pump Malfunction
6294 - EKPS Control current Too Low

All other modules show OKAY and no related codes.

Now I'm thinking that the leaking left/side filter assembly that I replaced a few months ago with aftermarket part has failed. There's not a lot of forum info about this, but apparently this assembly has the pressure regulator and a jet pump (to return fuel to right side of tank) built-in, and if it has failed, might be causing the loss of fuel pressure and uneven fuel level between the left and right sides of the tank.

I can't find any other causes, so I will try replacing it with a Bosch unit.

LMK what you think
Appreciate 0