View Single Post
      09-07-2023, 04:39 PM   #8
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Thank you sir, I truly appreciate your reply to all of my "things", no... seriously I do. It is your 2c's but MUCH APPRECIATED

I'll answer dem (BTW the list is what I thought of at the time)

Elaborate please, who was a heart patient? First step is do you have a proper credit card like a VISA Infinity with proper insurance?

Myself, I had a STEMI 2 years ago, nearly died, if anyone understands, my EF was 15% and steadily risen to now 40%, my cardiologist has me on some gold label drugs, but my progress has gone from near death to being fine and releasing me from out patients to once yearly checks, last echo/ecg were fine I have a stress test lined up in November I think

This is easy, look up what you may need and apply, UK will be simple but check well ahead for Sri Lanka.

yes thanks I think as I have a brit passport I'm good, OH and DD are canadians so they need a visa

Now.
Yikes really my research said at least 5-6months prior, I guess early is also good, I only got the green light from work last week, OH has to arrange there holidays and there is a bone of contention for DD as there is a concern as this year is supposed to be critical for her (12) ?

Autoeurope, no question.
OK I'll look into that, last time I used Hertz for 2.5 weeks and the experience was awesome they upgraded me to an Audi estate

WHAT? Jesus H christ, all you need are credit cards and debit cards. It's not 1991.
when I went back home (UK) about 10 years ago, I used my TD visa card, there was a glitch, when I tried to use it in the UK, some secuirty issues, but afterwards I was good, I was able to use it in shops ATM's, but there are charges right and conversion rates
The last time I was in Sri Lanka, was nearly 20-25 years ago, I had Travelers checks, I basically paid cash with everything, every week I'd go to the bank and just cash them, I need some spending cash, cash is king back home, but yes they do use cards, I guess I COULD use an ATM to get cash, but not sure how good with rates etc

If staying more than a week always go local and get it from the airport when you land. Don't forget the little pin thingy to access your SIM compartment.
Yes I agree with you, there dead easy to get, I think last time I got airtel or some crap, maybe check in with Chatr and see what there international plans are like

For someone who travels so much and so far so often, I still feel uneasy the entire way but just look past it. Remember, seat belt ALWAYS on in case you hit turbulance.
ok cools

You will need them so buy them. Lots of them if family has cell phone or multiple devices.
ok good point

One per person, absolute max.
I think we'll probably do one laptop and an ipad, I'll not use my own one, I think I'll see if my work has an old junky loaner I could borrow, or get one of ebay for a ton or summet

UK will be fine, bottled only in Asia outside of Japan/Korea
Good, apparently (when last there) there was a scam with bottled water from some road vendors,they would fill up with tap water and resell, if you weren't paying attention to check if the seal was broken, shops were all good, I used to take the free bottled water I got daily out with me. Or just buy cans of pop.

OK so a few other things. Paying business/first it utterly INSANE. I don't care what you and the mrs make, it is INSANE. Grind it out princess, put the money away for the kids deposit on a house. 35K is absolutely mind-boggling nuts. Harden the fuck up.

BA prices currently are
Economy 9.5k
Premium Economy 47k
Business 35k

Still even 9.5k is expensive, Canada and a big frigging ocean, UK travel is about half the price, plus I need a 3 day stay in the UK, so I can't do a standard trip, I have to break it down by multi-city.

I / we haven't traveled abroad like this in 20 years, OH has never been home since leaving Sri Lanka in 1996, so this is a special trip and something special. I'm not struggling for money, but I have my own business, and various savings strategies, plus I'm going to try and save up a bit more, maybe 10k coming out of my business, see how I can write it off, out of 13% HST I charge, I only pay 9%, so 4% I keep.

Yes it may sound nuts, after my heart attack, and I was wheeled out on a gurney and literally 5 minutes from death, your outlook on life changes, I had a year of work but couldnt travel due to covid and heart not fully recovered.

I think this is one thing I'm not going to sacrifice, or "man up on" or "grind it out" I had the chance about 25 years ago to fly 1st class, I saved the money 1k GBP and not 6k GBP, I still made a mint bought my first BMW, but would have done that anyway, the expereince would have been nice, if you have the money do it.

BUT........... I hear ya
Appreciate 1
dradernh4471.50