View Single Post
      09-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I forgot to update this, thanks for the comments.

Agree on everything said. AllTrails is great, we used it extensively for researching the mountains and trails. 14ers.com and summitpost.org are also good.

We "acclimated" for 36 hours, which was not enough. We both had headaches, but were able to summit Grays Peak on our schedule. The plan was to summit Torreys Peak after Grays, via the saddle connector trail. But the previous night brought about 2 inches of snow, which was getting packed from hikers making the trail slippery. Plus the wind was howling and temps were in the upper 20s at the summit, so we bailed on Torreys and descended back to the trailhead.

We gave ourselves a rest day after Grays, then summited Quandary Peak. Conditions were perfect in the morning, and at the summit. Clear skies, 37 deg F at the trailhead and in the 50s at the summit with almost no wind. The downclimb was pretty warm because of clear skies, although the temp was only in the 50s. I was parched and tired when I got back to the vehicle.

We hiked during the week, and during the school year, so while there were plenty of other hikers, it didn't feel crowded. I would not do this on a summer weekend during school vacation.

Colorado is a great place from an outdoors point of view. I lived there for a short while, and have skied several times. Lots to like.

Photos:
1. Parking lot at the trailhead of Grays Peak. The 2.6 mile access road is notoriously bad. The M-B handled it well.
2. Grays summit
3. Grays summit showing ever changing conditions with wind, snow, fog, clouds and sun
4. Pre-sunrise moon on Quandary ascent
5. Moonset part way up Quandary
6. Quandary summit

p.s Blast (again) this photo uploader! This is the only forum I use that fails to upload in the proper orientation.
Attached Images

Last edited by chassis; 09-14-2020 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 4