04-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal View Post
in other words, you are basically saying that during winter(snow) any car with winter tires will perform better than a car with all season tires..

so i can put winter tires on my m5 and have no problems instead of getting an SUV.
An SUV with winter tires will outperform an M5. I love the M5, but I just ordered a new X6M because where I live in the Pacific Northwest, it's either rainy or snowy a lot of the year.

An X6M with summer tires will be almost as fun as an M5 in the summer, and with winter tires I can have a lot of (albeit slightly different) fun in the winter.

It costs me $40 twice a year to go to the dealer and have them swap the rims out. They store my rims for me. I'll sell my current X6 rims for almost what I paid for them and order new X6M rims for winter. I have a nice coffee and a muffin and check my email on the free WiFi while they switch my rims out.

It's in no way painful, and SO MUCH safer.

The M5 will have issues even with winter tires and rims because it's so low to the ground. It'll turn into a snow plough in even small amounts of powder.

The X5M and X6M have torque vectoring steering, so will handle better in reduced traction conditions (as would any F15 or F16 with the DHP package).

All seasons suck all year round. Seriously - two sets of tires. Not hard
Appreciate 0