02-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #48
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Yesterday I was denied by J&J and two other companies I applied to on one of my application frenzies. Today I got two personal emails from Cisco and Ferguson saying they want to interview me.

The Cisco job is to be a FT project manager. It pretty much everything I wanted in a post college job so I really hope it pans out. The location is good, the company culture is good and I feel like the job description matches my skill set.

I never thought of this before but I think I know exactly what to say during the interview to show Cisco that I know how to analyze and problem solve. I want to explain how I figured out how to get cheap car parts on eBay. Only 1/2 the battle of starting up my CIC kits was figuring out how to technically do it. The other 1/2 was figuring out how to source parts for cheap. If you go on eBay and search "CIC" or E90 CIC" you will get a bunch of listings for about $200 for the screen and $200 for the head unit.

Most modern cars have over 20 modules, do you think someone knows what each of these 20 modules are for all of the make and models of cars? Absolutely not, junkyards can barely manage to separate bad used parts from good or remove parts without breaking them. I asked myself how would a junkyard list a CIC? I searched and found out that most junkyards in the US use the "hollander" list to find compatibility and to list their parts. What does hollander parts call a CIC? They call it "Audio Equipment Radio Am-fm-cd Receiver With Satellite Fits 10-16 BMW Z4". I searched that term on eBay and there are a load of CICs ranging from $50-$150. With that price range I am able to make some good money. The funny thing is that this version of the CIC does not even fit the Z4 so even the hollander list is wrong.

Any thoughts? Would that be too technical?
Interview for the position you are applying for. Based on that story I'd say you are more suited to be a purchaser, not necessarily a PM. Focus on why you performed that search - i.e. ensuring that you will make a suitable return. Speak to the customer that you developed the kits for. How you, I'd assume, set turn around times and ensured that they were delivered within those time frames. Did you every run into issues with those customers - meaning parts that did not work or maybe they did not install properly - were you able to properly deduce the issue and come to a resolution. Etc, etc. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0