View Single Post
      09-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Reed Hickson - The question of vaccination [Closed Due To Politics]

I'm going to give this a try and hopefully if any of you respond it will be heartfelt personal thoughts and not spiral into a political or religious discussion. I know how I feel and I'd like to hear from others without the usual rhetoric that goes with this this topic from all sides.

So, let's see if we can have a conversation on this important topic without this thread getting deleted.

The situation: Reed Hickson just died this week from COVID. He leaves behind family and friends, including 12 children and a wife. He caught COVID in August and he died on Monday. Not a surprise, the family has set up a Go Fund Me page. According to the articles I have read, the family has not answered the question whether or not Reed Hickson was vaccinated.

My thoughts first: My heart goes out to the family. How impossible it must feel right now to realize that the the 49 year old father of 12 children is gone.

My immediate question to myself was: Did he get vaccinated? The articles say the family refuses to answer that question.

For me, the choice to get vaccinated, which I did at my first opportunity back in January and February (Dose 1 and 2), was an easy one. I did not feel forced to do it. I did it for my own health, the safety of my friends and family. I did not worry that the vaccine was risky. I figured that the number of vaccinations that had been given before me and the data on the reactions to the doses was worth whatever risk there was for me. I'm not a scientist, so I wasn't going to wait and do my own elaborate research. I just decided to go for it and accept the risk factor for myself, my wife, my kids, and my grand kids, and our close bubble of friends.

We all do risky things at one level or another every day: Smoke, drink, drive too fast, take drugs, eat unhealthy food, have unsafe sex, or ??. My choice was to get vaccinated because it was a risk worth taking for me and the consequences of not getting vaccinated were too extreme for me.

Do any of you care to share your choice and why you made it?

If we keep responses respectful and keep religion and politics out of it, I'm hoping we have some thought-provoking responses that make us better understand the various points of view on this topic.

Last edited by sygazelle; 09-24-2021 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 2