cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
No jokes from me on this one, I totally understand. Fact is, it is this situation that led to the only accident I think I've been involved in which was my fault (or at least where I hit a car...thusly at fault)

Just in my case, instead of rain, it was snow.

I was driving up the highway and we came into a stretch where there were farmers fields on either side, no snow fence, nice and flat...and it was like you said, you just drove into a wall. Suddenly, the world was white...everywhere. Lost the car in front of me who was only 30 feet ahead or so, tapped brakes to go even slower (we were already going slowly at 60-70 km/h before we all hit the wall)...and just hoped that no one had stopped ahead.

Sadly, this was not the case. There was a big pileup ahead, and I had just reacquired the car in front of me when the extremely discomforting sight of a tractor trailer stopped dead in my lane about 20 feet ahead also loomed out of the whiteness. And all cars stopped every other lane as well, nowhere to go. So the guy in front of me hit the trailer and bounced back, and then I helpfully knocked him back into the trailer again for the double whammy.

Like you, was pretty worried about a transport being behind me, but nothing I could do, so I just leaned back into the headrest and waited to be hit, which took all of 5 seconds. About $20K of damage to my vehicle which insurance fully covered.

Turns out there were 96 cars involved in this pileup - largest one I think I've heard of. Pretty much all had damage, miserable day for their insurers.

After I got hit I put down the window to yell at a lady who decided it was a good idea to get out of her car and start running to the front...she didn't listen, but far as I know she made it. I was attempting to gently persuade her that she'd me much safer in her car, surrounded by a few thousand pounds of steel and aluminum, in case a transport came flying through. Ah well...least she made it. No fatalities at all that day, nothing critical, few minor injuries I believe and that's it.

So I get how you felt.
Scary story for sure. Glad you and the others involved were ok. It's unnerving that in certain situations, there is just nothing you can do.